Friday, April 13, 2007

Chapters 1-3
(Never mind on the previous question. I just read Dr. D's instructions.)

I just finished the reading assignment and I found the topics in the book very interesting. I enjoy the description of different bargaining techniques and that it uses numerous examples to illustrate the scenarios. (I do better with that than "theoretically" speaking)

After reading the section on the "philatelist auction" I recognized that human nature is, in fact very dishonest when negotiating or "battling" for an item, due to many factors. I like how the philatelist auction allows for a more straightforward approach and one is able to place a bid on exactly what the they believe an item is worth. This is versus trying to assume they're opponents approach thus either paying too much, or not bidding the amount they should have and loosing the item all together.

I think this also goes for having a third party involved in a negotiation that seems to be in a dead lock. The negotiators will recieve better results and use all the assesets on the table if they are able to approach each other in a more honest and trusting way instead of feeling like they will be taken advantage of if they express new options.

I also found the chapter on Coloberative Problem Solving very interesting. The book was very thorough in its description of the process as well as why most choose not to use this approach. It addressed each issue and showed it is possible to facilate such an effort and admitted that it was not the easiest approach. I believe the author is one hundred percent correct about including all parties even if you think they will cause trouble because they will cause more if ignored during the process. Also that all parties need to participate constructively instead to throwing out demands which will only hinder the process. The quote that was used was "Check your guns at the door but don't throw them away" (pg 37). I liked the step by step process given as well. The Newark, NJ example was a very positive illustration of how this approach can, in fact, achieve results.

My question to you is: Do you feel that Colobrative Probleming Solving is possible on a higher scale, like national government?

No comments: