Saturday, April 14, 2007

Phone Call Assignment Week 1

I believe the conversation that I had with Brenda seemed to flow very naturally once we were able to start the assignment. We had a bit of a miscommunication when I first called but once we sorted it out everything went smoothly. She was very easy to talk to and open about her problem so that I was able to fully understand.

I feel that we definitely worked together as a team during our conversation. We both asked questions to better understand the problems as well as offered resolutions. One challenge was that neither of us had been in the other’s position, so we were not speaking from experience. However, I think we both had some good points on our issues and it helped to look at them with fresh eyes. My problem was concerning child support and hers was about fulfilling a student’s needs after they had been denied by her supervisor.

I personally had some barriers to communication, but I’m not sure about Brenda. I have a six month old daughter and although my mother was watching her during the phone call I could hear her crying in the other room. I tried to close the door but it was still a little distracting. I don’t believe I had any preconceived notions of any kind however, she thought I was a telemarketer at first, so we had to clear that up before we could continue. :)

All in all, I feel that the conversation was very productive. For me, to get an outside opinion from someone and understanding that my last resort may be my only option. I hope that I gave her some insight on a possible new approach with her dilemma. The only judgment that I made about her was that she is very passionate about the well-being of her students and will see to it that they get the resources that are necessary.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

once again, im soooo sorry about how our conversation started. =/

jamielynnrodriguez said...

That is great that the experiment was productive. It was on my end too!

Myrna Sadalge said...

Hello,

This is Myrna, how are you doing in the class so far?