Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Phone Assignment Week 3

Lidia and I were partners this week, she was the employee and I was her manager in the child care department of the YMCA. The evaluation process at the YMCA is a two part process. The first, in the spring, is to set up the goals of the term and what is expected of them. The second, in the fall, is to evaluate the employee’s performance in order to establish pay raise.

Lidia came to be because she only received a 3% pay raise and was expecting 5%. She expressed to me that she feels she did not receive a high enough raise based the work she accomplish. She explained that she wrote all lesson plans, would stay late and increased enrollment to reach capacity.

After hearing her state her case, I explained that due to budget I gave her as much as possible because, after all, there were other employees that needed raises as well. She explained that she felt she did the majority of the work and that the raises should not be equal. I told her that I was unable to discuss other’s raises with her but assured her that the raises are based on merit. I also told her that I was glad she brought this to my attention and that I do not want her to feel underappreciated. I wanted to make it perfectly clear that we felt she was an asset to us and that we valued all her hard work.

I said that I was unable to make the decision myself so I would talk to my supervisor about the issue to see if something could be done about an increase while staying in budget. However, I wanted to make sure that she understood that although I will ask for 5% that it may not be possible but I will make sure we increase it. We agreed to meet on Friday to discuss the outcome.

2 comments:

Kristina Fudge said...

Isn't it something how managers always say it's not in the budget? I find it quite funny when I hear that comment only to find in the Legal Department they've just hired another attorney for $150,000 a year.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is if a company really wants someone, an attorney for instance, then they will pay the price as long as it makes sense financially. When I say financially I'm referring to the company's interests and what they stand to gain by hiring that person or paying that extra 2% to keep them on. I have found that one's value, at least within an organization is relative to that of the people they interact with regulary. In other words if interaction is not with the top people everday who make the money decisions then you're just another face.

aprince22 said...

In my role play, I was the boss as well. I see that we came up with close to the same solution for our employees. We told them how much we appreciate their work and that we will try and solve the problem at hand. But yet we have to get approval from our supervisors, before we can go any further in the higher pay increase proceedings. I think it is funny how people think a like playing the same character, but have different employee scenarios.